Lutheran Church and Community of Itajai
The first church of the Lutheran community of Itajai, built by Wilhelm Müller.
In the Itajai valley, Evangelical Lutheran families resided from the beginning of the colonization of Itajaí Valley and, in 1855, Pastor Georg Hoelzer of Dona Francisca Colony (now Joinville), celebrated there, probably the first worship service celebrated by an evangelical pastor. This happened in the house of the colonist Franz Sallenthien.
With the constant immigration of settlers from Germany, the population of evangelical faith grew increasingly, and also the district under the jurisdiction of the ministry of Pastor Hesse of Blumenau was stretched ever more inward of valley, with the settlement on the vast basin of the Rio Itajai and its tributaries, thus forcing the pastor extend his religious services not only at seat of municipality, but also in distant locations.
The families felt abandoned, however, at the time of discouragement, they utilized all that they brought in your luggage: the Bible, Hymnal and the Shorter Catechism. But, for to baptize, be confirmed, and married, then it was necessary that they should travel to Blumenau, where Pastor Oswaldo Hesse was installed. Besides having to serve residents colony of Blumenau, Pastor Hesse has also been tasked to serve the residents evangelical Colony Brusque, for which he offered his services by the year 1864, when it was replaced by Pastor Sandreczki that locality.
While the immigration followed in the direction of ever more distant points in the colony Blumenau, some colonists began to build mills for sawing wood, intensifying this type of activity, which was very little explored. Due to this increased supply of timber that arrived at the port of Itajaí, some artisans and merchants begin to develop a new area of commerce in the city,. Coopers intensify the production of barrels and crates to absorb the demand of agricultural output coming from the colonies, joiners producing wooden furniture with excellent quality and also carts and buggies. And so they came the blacksmiths, shoemakers, tailors, and other immigrants who had activities considered urban, although economically linked to the agricultural production activity. The first master mason to settle in Itajaí was Wilhelm Müller in 1869.
Thus, among the first immigrants of German origin who settled in the village of Itajai, were the Lutherans evangelicals who, unlike other immigrants of Catholic faith, they have not found a church or a pastor to bring them spiritual comfort, and Nor even there did not even existed a burial ground to burry their loved ones.
On July 12, happened in the village of Itajai, the meeting for the founding of the Community. Some Lutherans gathered, for the purpose of founding the evangelical community, whose main objective was to build a graveyard. It was not a priority at that time building a chapel or church, that would be cause for attention only a few years later, due to the increase in the number of households in the village. They were part of this group, Samuel Heusi, Jacob Heusi, Wilhelm Müller, Hermann Willerding and Carl Hugo Praun (the latter two had fought as volunteers and returned from the war against Paraguay). But, was only in 06 august 1870, that the Community was founded. The first board was made by Mr. Samuel Heusi, Wilhelm Müller and Friedrich Ramlow.
Immediately, bought land next to the Catholic cemetery existing at the time. In October 1871 the cemetery was officially consecrated by Pastor Johann Anton Sandreczki. Em July 1873, the city council demanded the exhumation of the remains of the old evangelical municipal cemetery, which unanimously denied by the board. In August 1890, the community elected a new board consisting of: Hermann Willerding, and Friedrich Specht and Wilhelm Müller. By acclamation, was elected as Honorary President, the Pastor Johann Julius v.Czekus. On this date, the community also adopted its connection with the evangelical community church in Brusque. Moreover, it was agreed to build a chapel in Itajaí.
Six months later, on May 8, 1891, signed a contract to build the foundations of the chapel, with Wilhelm Müller. The committee was composed of Hermann Willerding, Samuel Heusi, Carl Agge, Julius Galle and Friedrich Specht. At a general meeting on 16th October, Pastor Czekus, honorary chairman, made known to all the death of Hermann Willerding. Samuel Heusi, was again elected then president. In 1909, Were elected Busso Asseburg, Fritz Neuhaus and Jorge Tzaschel. At this same meeting, Samuel Heusi was elected honorary member of the community.
In 1910 he was elected to the board: Busso Asseburg, Franz Riedel and Immanuel Currlin and December 1911, Wilhelm Müller (Chairman), Max Puetter (Secretary) and Immanuel Currlin (Treasurer). In 1914 lived in Itajai, 53 families evangelical. For the year 1915, were elected, Dr. Bloch, for President, Jorge Tzaschel Secretary and Busso Asseburg as Treasurer. As a result of the first great war, on April 21, 1916, worship services and meetings were banned. Only on February 2, 1923 took place, since after the war, the first meeting where elected Alfredo Eicke, Jorge Tzaschel and Julio Willerding. On August 28 the same year, Mr. Jorge Tzaschel died, Henry Jenné was appointed as Secretary and Mr. Julio Willerding as Treasurer.
From the period when Wilhelm Lange was Pastor of Brusque, until the period of the beginning of the First World War, the number of households connected to evangelical Lutheran community of Itajaí, increased considerably. Upon entry of Brazil in the conflict, church activities and community were banned and remained so until the early 1920s.
The community has been assisted since its founding by pastors of Evangelical Lutheran Community of Brusque.In May 1924, the community wondered, first, to become pastor to the parish itself. This objective was accomplished only 56 years later. Until the entry of Brazil in the last world war, the Lutheran Church had the traditional German School of Itajai, where they endured many itajaienses that stood out in the political scenario of the state and country.
Lutheran Church today
Lutheran Evangelical pastors who have served the community of Itajaí
From 1863 to 1927 pastors exercised the office of president of the community. P.astor Julius von CzeKus, P.Wilhelm Lange, P. Gerold Hobus, P. Eberhard Neumann and P. Georg Ratsch. From 1927, the Pastor stopped being president, remaining a permanent member of the Board and the Presbytery. they were all pastors of Community Brusque, which also served to Itajaí.
- Johann Anton Heinrich Sandreczki was born in Hermopolis, Island of Syra, Greece on September 22, 1837. Was the first Protestant pastor of Colony Itajaí-Brusque. He was the son of Carl Sandreczki and Jeanette Coutoux. His father was of Polish origin, born in Munich. His father, from June 1850 to July 1851 was Reverend Smyrna Church Missionary Society of London. Besides being a missionary, he also wrote about archeology and other topics, the publication of articles in the Palestine Exploration Fund. Johann Sandreczki, was brother of Max Sandreczki, pediatric surgeon was founder of "Marienstift Children's Hospital", Jerusalem. In February 21, 1864, he was ordained in Hürtingen, Württemberg, by Dean Stock, and destined as a preacher for German settlers in Brazil. On 04/05/1864, arrived in Rio de Janeiro and he was chosen by the Basel Mission (Basler Missionsgesellschaft) to serve in the Itajaí-Brusque community, being the first pastor with fixed residence in that community. He also created the local Evangelical School. With the death of Pastor Oswald Hesse, Sandreczki was transferred to Blumenau in 1879. Continued commitment to visit at least once a month, his former community. Sandreczki was good successor Hesse, being active and selfless.He remained in Blumenau until 1889, when he accepted the invitation to go to the United States, served with Shepherd Community in Bennington, Wyoming County. There, his wife died in 1893. Upon retiring, was residing in Buffalo, where he died in 1918, and he was buried at Forest Lawn Cemetery, Buffalo, Erie Conty.
- Johann Julius von Czekus. Son of Stephan Von Czekus and Wilhelmine Bornhofer. He was coming from Kosenau, in Austria. The second resident pastor, Johannes Julius von Czekus, Czekus arrived in Brazil in 1890. He was sent by the Evangelical Society of Barmen (Evangelische Gesellschaft für die Deutschen protestantischen in America. He married Louise, Willerding *1874, age 19, born in Brusque, daughter of Hermann Willerding, and Carlota Willerding, geb. Krieger, in Itajaí, on January 5, 1893. During this period, was built the building of the Evangelical Church of Lutheran Confession in Brusque Its construction was started in May 3, 1894 and its inauguration took place on January 6, 1895. He remained as pastor in Brusque until 1897, when he went to Joinville.;
- Wilhelm Gottfried Lange (1896 - 1912). He was born on March 22, 1858 in Potsdam / Derwitz. He came from southern Russia to Brazil in 1886. He landed at the port of Sao Francisco do Sul - SC on June 28, 1886. With him were approximately 140 people of the Brotherhood of Herrnhut, Germany, according to Guaramirim -SC Brüderthal Comunity). In 1896 he was appointed Pastor of Brusque, where he remained until 1910. Between 1910 and 1912, he was already retired but continued living in Itajai and serving as a pastor in this community. Followed around 1914 to Timbo, SC, where he died on November 19, 1930.
- Gerold Julius Friedrich Hobus, was born on July 30, 1874, in Schlawe, son of Friedrich Hobus and Auguste Gloese, and died in June 1930 in Hermannsacker. Itinerant pastor of Santa Catarina ordely by Pastor Wilhelm Lange was ordained on January 19, 1908 by order of the Superior Ecclesiastical Council in Berlin. This year went to Rio do Sul -SC, where he founded the Evangelical Lutheran with 40 familiesGerold Hobus replaced Pastor Pastor Lange in Brusque, from January 1, 1910. He married in Brusque, in 1911, with Maria Carolina Julia Boettger, daughter of Georg Boettger, and Caroline Zimmermann.Pastor Hobus resigned from Brusque community in the month March 1914, when he returned to Germany. On June 11 his replacement arrived, Pastor Neumann.
- Eberhard Neumann, He was born on March 10, 1886 in Strelow, Posen and was sent to Brazil in 1914, by the Superior Ecclesiastical Council in Berlin (Evangelischer Oberkirchenrat EO). He was Pastor in Brusque 1914 to 1920, then served the community of Blumenau 1920 until June 1924. During this period the building was constructed of Motherhood "Johannastift", and later in Corupá-SC.When he moved to Blumenau, in his place was elected Pastor Albert Bornfleth. After returning to Germany, he lived in Berlin and Bötzow.
- Albert Bornfleth was born on February 28, 1868, in Mittelhagen. Was sent to Brazil in 1903 by the Superior Ecclesiastical Council in Berlin (Evangelischer Oberkirchenrat - EO). After that he worked in São Bento do Sul - SC (1903-12), he returned to Germany and was a pastor in Stüdenitz, Diözese Havelberg-Wilsnack. He assumed the Community of Brusque in August 15, 1920, serving there for a brief period (until 1921), when he went to the the Evangelic Community of Florianópolis. He died on Rackow, on May 23, 1928.
- Georg Ratsch was born on March 24, 1880, and he was sento to Brazyl in 1911 by the Superior Ecclesiastical Council in Berlin (Evangelischer Oberkirchenrat EO). (1921 - 1926) After returning to Germany, he lived in Berlin-Köpenick.
- Friedrich Richter was born on July 14, 1895.
- Walter Enders was born in Silesia, on March 7, 1893. He was sent to Brazil in 1925, by the Superior Ecclesiastical Council in Berlin (Evangelischer Oberkirchenrat - EO) By 1937 resided in Hinternah, Province of Saxony.
- Eduard Ferdinand Grätsch Was sent to Brazil in 1922, by the Superior Ecclesiastical Council in Berlin (Evangelischer Oberkirchenrat - EO)(1931 - 1939)
- Justus Guenther Grassmann (1939 - 1945), son of Karl Grassmann and Lina Brust, he was born on November 28, 1898, in Königsberg. He went to Brazil in 1939. After the war, He returned to Germany and lived in Bochum.
Heinrich Sandreczki Wilhelm Lange
Members of Directory
Carl Hugo Praun Hermann Willlerding Samuel Heusi George Tzaschel Wilhelm Müller Immanuel Currlin
List of Directors and their respective Presidents of the community.
1st.1870-1890: Samuel Heusi - President; Wilhelm Müller - Secretary; Fritz Ramlow - Treasurer. Remarks: With the change of domicile of Ramlow to Cologne Luiz Alvez in 1881, Guilherme Müller also assumed the duties of treasurer;
2nd1890-1891 * Hermann Willerding- President; Frederick Specht - Secretary; Wilhelm Müller - Treasurer. Remarks: Willerding Hermann died in 1891 and was elected by acclamation Samuel Heusi to assume the presidency;
3rd.1909 - 1910: Busso Asseburg - President; Fritz Neuhaus - Secretary; Jorge Tzaschel - Treasurer;
4th. 1910-1911: Busso Asseburg - President; Franz Riedel - Secretary; Immanuel Currlin - Treasurer;
5th. 1911 -1914: Wilhelm Müller - President, Max Puetter - Secretary, Immanuel Currlin - Treasurer;
6th. 1915-1916: Dr. Eugene Bloch - President,. Jorge Tzaschel - Secretary; Felix Busso Asseburg - Treasurer. Remarks: the services and meetings were banned from 1916 to 1923 due to World War 1;
7th. 1923-1928: Alfredo Eicke - President, Julio Willerding - Secretary, Jorge Tzaschel - Treasurer. On August 28, 1923 Jorge Tzaschel died, taking his place as treasurer Henry Jenne. Alfredo Eicke was president of the Community of February 25, 1923 a November 25, 1941;
8th. 1928-1932: Alfredo Eicke - President, Adolfo Blase - Secretary, Julio Willerding - Treasurer;
9th. 1932-1941: Alfredo Eicke - President, Adolfo Blase - Secretary, Julio Willerding - Treasurer. Note: Eicke and Julio Alfredo Willerding not accept re-election, leaving only Adolfo Blase in charge until 1941;
10th. 1941-1942: Victor Kleine - President, Augusto Ludovico Voigt - Vice President, Ewaldo Willerding - Secretary, José Júlio Willerding - Treasurer. Remarks: the services and meetings were banned from 1942 to 1947 due to World War 2.